This chickpea curry is made in a base of vegetable broth and creamy coconut milk making it both hearty, healthy, and delicious! Paired with a fresh tomato soup that uses our Watermelon Whole Plant Juice Tonic! This dish is both pretty and delicious!
Spring cleaning is here; out with the old and in with the new! A time of year where we clear the chaos and balance out everything that surrounds us. But this it is also a time to clean and balance our internal environments as well. This Chickpea Curry and Tomato Soup is the perfect balance of Yin and Yang made to balance your internal clock.
What is the Principle of Yin and Yang?
Yin and Yang is the concept of duality. This is an prominently Eastern Chinese concept principle that states that what appears to be opposite forces are actually one in the same in that they complement and balance each other. For instance, lightness cannot be experienced without darkness.
This is different in Western culture as opposite forces are often look at as being against each other with no connection whatsoever. For instant, lightness vs darkness are against each other.
Characteristics of Each
- Yin: Feminine, passive, dark, and cold/cool. Foods that have high water content are typically considered Yin.
- Yang: Masculine, active, bright, and hot/hot. Foods that high energy content (like high fat foods) are considered Yang.
Yin and Yang Recipe (Chickpea Curry and Tomato Soup)
In the spirit of Yin and Yang, we too two simply separate dishes and merged them into one and though they appear separate, they complement each other perfectly!
- The Yin Tomato Soup: Tomatoes are high watered. We balance this energy out with added yang foods like onions and garlic.
- The Yang Chickpea Curry: Chickpeas are a neutral food (perfect balance of yin and yang) BUT this chickpea curry has a based made in coconut milk which is high fat. We balance this energy out with yin spices like turmeric, coriander as well as high water foods like spinach and tomatoes.
Whole Plant Tonic (Grape, Kiwi, and Watermelon)
The tomato soup is slightly sweetened with our Grape, Kiwi, and Watermelon Whole Plant Tonic Drink! Our whole plant tonic juice contains superfood ingredients like aronia berries and mung beans.
- Aronia Berries have one of the highest ORAC levels even more so than blueberries (a known superfood). ORAC ( Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) values the level of antioxidants in foods.
- Mung Bean Sprouts are a high source of fiber, plant based protein, antioxidants, and healthy complex carbohydrates.
This drink is a superfood it itself and gives this tomato soup a the perfect nutritional (and tasty) boost).
VIDEO: How to Make Chickpea Curry and Tomato Soup, 1 min 30 secs
I can assure this recipe will give you the balance you need. Enjoy!
RECIPES - Chickpea Curry and Tomato Soup
Summary: This Chickpea Curry and Tomato soup is the perfect Yin Yang balance. It’s both hearty and healthy. The Chickpea curry is made in a base of vegetable broth and creamy coconut milk. It’s served with fresh tomato soup using our Watermelon Whole Plant Juice Tonic!
Course: Main Course, Soup
Cuisine: Plant Based, Vegan
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour (60 Minutes)
Total Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes (70 Minutes)
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ medium onions
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup Karviva's Whole Plant Tonic
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
Vegan Chickpea Curry
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 16 ounce can chickpeas, drained or 2 cups of cook chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ms. Dash Seasoning optional
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1½ cup coconut milk
- 1½ tablespoon turmeric
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- handful cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon squeezed lime juice (optional)
- Begin by slicing your tomatoes and adding them to a baking pan.
- Drizzle olive oil on top of tomatoes. Then sprinkle garlic powder, salt, and pepper over tomatoes and roast for 15 minutes at 375°F/190°C.
- After 15 minutes add sliced onions to the tray and roast everything for an additional 15 minutes on 375°F/190°C.
- Once everything is done roasting, add your tomatoes and onions over to a medium size pot.
- Then add vegetable broth (stock), Karviva's Whole Plant Tonic Juice, and dried basil to your pot.
- Turn heat on low to simmer your soup for about 10 minutes until most of the liquid is gone.
- Once tomato soup has simmered for 10 minutes, use an immersion blender to blend it all together until smooth. (See notes if you don't have an immersion blender)
- Turn off heat, set aside covered in your pot, and begin to prepare you vegan chickpea curry.
Vegan Chickpea Curry
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions. Stir frequently, until the onion is softened and starting to brown.
- Next add the chickpeas, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, Ms. Dash Seasoning (optional), salt, and pepper; stir and cook for 60 seconds to fully coat and toast the chickpeas.
- Then you are going to add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, and turmeric powder. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer the vegan chickpea curry for about 10 - 15 minutes till liquid in the skillet has reduced and thicken.
- Once chickpea curry has thicken, add the tomatoes, spinach, cilantro, and squeeze lime. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2-3 minutes until spinach has wilted down.
- Serve hot with your tomato soup!
Serving Size (1 cup each)
Calories from Fat 468
Total Fat 52g
Saturated Fat 33g
Total Carbohydrates 40g
Dietary Fiber 8g
Vitamin A 120.1%
Vitamin C 113.4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- If you don't have an Immersion Blender, transfer mixture to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Then transfer back to your pot and continue with the remaining steps.
- You can use can tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes to save time. If using can tomatoes, just roast your garlic and onions(NOT can tomatoes) for 15 minutes and cook remainder of recipe as described.
- You can substitute chickpeas for tofu jackfruit, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, or lentils! I highly recommend chickpeas as the texture pairs so well with coconut milk!
- Use the coconut milk in the can NOT the jug in the refrigerator section. You can find can coconut milk in the Asian/Ethic Cooking section of your local grocery store.
- This vegan chickpea curry and tomato soup will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Use a meal prep containers with 2 compartments, putting you chickpea curry in on slot and tomato soup in another. This will help you save room on storage.
- Does it freeze? This vegan chickpea and tomato soup can be frozen for up to 1 month. Freeze them in separate bags and containers