We’re at that time of the year when the days are long, with clear blue skies and cotton clouds all around. Neighbors and friends come out and give the warmest greetings as you walk past them while they set up a camping chair, cooler, and grill.
Ah, yes. It’s cookout season once again! Everyone is inviting everyone around the grill for quick bites and slow conversations. It takes almost no effort, and there’s nothing quite like the char-grilled smell of patties, skewers, and hotdogs to draw people in.
Now it’s your turn to whip out the grill, light up some coals, and invite people over. Your friends and family may insist on the usual staples, so if you want to keep your vegetarian or vegan diet streak unbroken (and possibly convert people into flexitarians), you need to do the work with plant proteins. Let Karviva teach you how to do it, and with a healthy drink to match, too!
Vegan Tofu Burger
Burgers are the main business of any summer cookout. It’s the food that makes everyone’s mouth water. Friends and family will gather around the grill holding a can of soda and a paper plate, lining up in wait for a juicy patty.
On the other hand, a usual cookout burger is made of animal products and is high in saturated fat. So if you have guests who need to watch their health or prefer food coming from plant sources, make them feel included and serve them this vegan burger. It’s rich in healthy soy protein and tastes just as delicious.
Here’s how to make a vegan tofu burger.
Ingredients for the patty:
- Extra-firm tofu (14 ounces)
- Soy sauce (2 tbsp) (tamari for gluten-free)
- Green onions (3 pieces, diced)
- Red onion (1 piece, medium, diced)
- Garlic powder (2 tbsp)
- All-purpose flour (2 tbsp)
- Wheat germ/yeast (2 tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Paprika (½ tsp, smoked, optional)
Ingredients for the burger:
- Hamburger buns (6 pieces, grilled)
- Lettuce (sliced)
- Red onions (sliced or ringed)
- Tomatoes (sliced)
- Vegan mayo
- Vegan cheese
How to make the vegan tofu burger:
- Press the tofu and drain any excess water.
- Mash the tofu in a large bowl until the consistency looks like bread torn into small pieces.
- Add onions, yeast, garlic powder, flour, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and paprika. Mix with a spatula.
- Take a portion of the mixture. Then, mold and press it together into a 1-inch thick patty, or according to your preference.
- Prepare the grill by coating it with olive oil. Then, toss the tofu patty and grill until cooked.
- On the grill’s free space, toss the buns and grill them on each side until they’re toasted.
- Additionally, you can grill the lettuce, onions, and tomatoes if you want a smoky vegetable taste to the burger.
- Put all the ingredients between the bun slices, add the vegan cheese, mayo, ketchup, and mustard as desired.
- To make it more delicious, serve this vegan burger with an Instant Pot Mango BBQ Sauce, featuring Karviva Rejuvenate.
Another staple in any cookout are hotdogs. They roll around easily on the grill and cook fast. Friends and family can grab a treat in just a couple of minutes and get back to chatting with each other while enjoying a bite. Similar to the original version, this plant-based sausage can be eaten with or without a bun, and pairs perfectly with a cold drink, especially on a hot summer day.
Be sure to make a lot of vegan hotdogs ahead of time. Every plant-based dieter in the cookout will devour this protein treat faster than you think.
- Garlic (3 cloves)
- Onion (½ of the medium-sized one, coarsely chopped)
- Pinto beans (¾ cup, cooked)
- Water (½ cup)
- Soy sauce (2 tbsp)
- Tomato paste (1 tbsp)
- Smoked paprika (2 tsp)
- Ground coriander (1 tsp)
- Ground mustard (1 tsp)
- Black pepper (½ tsp)
- Celery seeds or pumpkin seeds (¼ tsp)
- Mace (¼ tsp)
- Wheat gluten (1 cup)
- Rolled oats (⅓ cup, uncooked)
- Nutritional yeast (2 tbsp)
- Ground flax seeds or chia seeds (2 tbsp)
How to make the vegan hotdog:
- Place a skillet on the burner and saute the garlic until brown.
- Add the onions and let them cook until soft.
- Toss the garlic and onion into the food processor along with pinto beans, soy sauce, tomato paste, water, mace, and seasonings. Blend them until it becomes a thick paste.
- In the mixing bowl, throw in the wheat, rolled oats, yeast, and flax seeds. Then, add the paste from the food processor and mix thoroughly until it becomes a dough.
- Knead the dough and add water as necessary.
- Tear 8 pieces of aluminum foil at least 6 inches in length. Shape the dough into hotdogs and place them on the foil. Then, roll the foil around the dough.
- Get a wok or a pot, pour a cup of water, and place it on a burner to start the steam.
- Place the vegan hotdogs on the steamer and cover them. Let the steam cook them for an hour.
- After steaming, cool them down and store them in the fridge or grill them directly.
Completing the cookout menu is the kabob. This comfort food is part of what makes those summer grill parties a blast. It’s sweet, salty, and juicy. It also grills fast so you, your friends, and your family can enjoy a tasty bite in between laughs and sips of beer.
You know the drill. Make plenty of these kebabs and have a cold, fizzy drink ready. It’s better to serve more kabobs than to leave your guests hanging. So line up these palatable kabobs and be sure to keep a trash bin close by so you don’t end up having to pick up sticks in your backyard.
- Olive oil (3 tbsp)
- Soy sauce (1 tbsp)
- Liquid smoke (1 tsp)
- Maple syrup (1 tbsp)
- Parsley (2 tbsp)
- Extra-firm tofu (1 pack, 15 ounces)
- Zucchini (1 medium-sized, chopped)
- Red bell pepper (chopped)
- Yellow bell pepper (chopped)
- Orange bell pepper (chopped)
- Red onion (chopped)
- Cherry tomatoes (15 pieces)
- Mushrooms (small, 15 pieces)
How to make the vegan kabobs:
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Then, add the block of tofu. Make sure it’s soaked. Store in the refrigerator for 1–8 hours.
- Grab 10 to 15 skewers and submerge them in water until the wood feels slippery.
- Slice the tofu block into 1-inch cubes.
- Dry the small mushrooms.
- Thread the tofu, bell peppers, onion, tomato, and mushrooms on the skewer. Alternate the bell peppers by color.
- Fire up the coals to medium heat and line the grill with the kabobs. Turn them after 5–10 minutes so each side is cooked evenly. Brush the kabobs with the marinade every time you turn.
- Once the vegetables are tender, transfer them to a plate. Coat the kabobs again with the marinade and top them with fresh parsley.
Liven Your Cookout Coolers with Karviva Immunity
When hosting a backyard cookout party, having a cooler full of ice and refreshments is always a good idea. Soda, beer, juice, and wine are what commonly fill the coolers during a cookout, but there’s always a way to make them more healthy and fun.
Karviva Immunity is the drink you want to get to match your vegan cookout staples. This healthy and tasty drink will give your health-conscious guests a pleasant surprise.
Here’s what you and your guests will get when you include Karviva in the stash.
A Cookout-Ready Tummy
Each bottle of Karviva Immunity has prebiotic fiber. This will keep the good gut bacteria thriving to improve everyone’s digestion. Have them drink a cold one from the cooler while they wait for the food to finish grilling. Karviva will get their tummies primed and pumped for a day-long summer grilling feast.
An Energetic Body for Warm Weather
Fine and sunny weather is best enjoyed by heading outside, hanging out with friends, and eating good food. But dehydration can interrupt the fun, so prevent it with Karviva Immunity. It contains sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and bicarbonate—electrolyte components that will keep everyone at the cookout hydrated and energized.
A Tasty Drink to Pair
Cookout food is always better with a drink, and Karviva is an excellent match. Chill a bottle of this healthy drink, and savour the exhilarating fruity taste.
Pair it with your vegan burgers, hot dogs, and kebabs; Karviva Immunity will hit the spot. You’ll get that tingle of bliss in your spine that you’ll only feel when you take an ice cold, fruity sip after a tongue-burning bite.
Making Cookout Connections Flourish
Cookouts are about connections. It’s no surprise that your friends and family will want to stick around even after you serve them all the vegan grilled goodness. Cookouts are a time to catch up, relate, and enjoy a long summer day with your favorite people.
When the bellies are full and the charcoals turn to ember, the beverages carry the cookout party. Drinks have a way of flourishing connections because they’re what people have in hand when they gather and talk. Drinks keep the conversation flowing and the celebration going.
This National Grilling Month, include a variety of drinks in your cookout cooler. Cater to everyone, especially those looking for a healthy, non-alcoholic alternative to match a hearty vegan meal. Allow everyone to flourish connections and fill their bodies with care and compassion.
An excellent cookout host never leaves a soul without a drink to toast. Get your Karviva Immunity drinks now.